Thursday, October 9, 2008

London Doesn't Have Drugstores

And therefore, I can never live there. I've been toying with the idea of applying to a PhD program there in the future, and am grateful for this revelation. My friend recently moved to London to begin a graduate program and was more than sorely disappointed by the fact that she could not find a plastic bowl or shower caddy anywhere within a few miles (or should I say kilometers) of her housing. Apparently, London drugstores differ greatly from Duane Reade.

Which reinforces my belief that the modern drugstore is one of my America's greatest offerings to the world. Seriously. What CAN'T you find in a drugstore? At Duane Reade the other day, I found everything from eyeshadow to crushed red pepper to a hammer, not to mention plastic dinnerware and utensils. This all in addition to the pharmacy.

I realize that my love for drugstores has serious implications considering that the major chains are all but wiping out mom-and-pop businesses throughout NYC and elsewhere. It really is terrible and against everything I learned as an Urban Studies major. Unfortunately, my habits prevent me from taking a stand against them. I'm addicted and rely on the fact there is a Duane Reade on just about every corner in New York. Back on Long Island, my mother has a similar relationship with Rite Aid.

London apparently also has very skinny, Euro-type men who don't appeal to my friend. She misses big, beefy American men.

So there you have it. No beefy men or drugstores. I told you I'd be traveling in my head.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008