Thursday, October 2, 2008

A History of Dance & Nostalgic Jams

There was a time when my partner-in-crime from age 0 onwards literally pumped and pumped the jam with me wherever we went. At first, I couldn't dance even though I had major rhythm. I just didn't know how to put it together, and I was shy. Then one fine day, Alpha Cousin & partner-in-crime says "It's simple Suman - just put one foot behind the other, and snap. Then move to your side, put the other foot behind the other, and snap! Step, snap, step snap..."

History in the making as the original Indian dance team was born. Their members resided on Long Island and Queens, and studios were located in our basements, backyards, wedding receptions, and graduation parties.

To top it off, we always had a ready audience in the Older Sis. Ok, so maybe she wasn't exactly "ready" to watch us pretend to be Bollywood stars. I think we traumatized her.

Listening to my IPod the other day, a song which I have not heard in ages came on. Before I knew it, I was 12 again, wearing a sparkly Indian outfit, and throwing my hands in the air like there was no tomorrow. A tidal wave of nostalgia ensued and since then, I've been recalling all the amazingly bad/awesome songs that we used to groove to. My own personal VH1 marathon in my head, which needs to be released immediately.

It was the early-mid 90s. Four little Indian girls began to come of age just as Indian remix masters burst onto the scene. Puffy sleeves and tights were just about on their way out, and everyone was wearing Revlon's Toast of New York Super Lustrous Lipstick. We went to weddings at huge banquet halls in New Jersey and carried back equally huge floral arrangements that positively STANK the next morning. No one used straightening irons and hair was perpetually bushy.

Two of us thought we were really cool. One was too young to notice we weren't and did everything we did. The other one, too smart for her own good, KNEW we weren't and incessantly made fun of us. It was okay because she was actually pretty funny, didn't dance, and we needed a DJ.

Against this backdrop developed the following soundtrack. I've highlighted the most memorable Hindi songs and 1-800-DIAL-MTV jams. Listen, watch, and imagine us bouncing around in our own interpretive choreography. Mind-blowing.

By Film/Artist:

ARROW: Hot Hot Hot
BALLY SAGOO: Jugni (w/ Malkit Singh), Mere Laung Gawacha
BETA: Dhak Dhak Karne Laga

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008