Wednesday, October 8, 2008

DVR Dates & Unhealthy TV Obsessions

As most of my friends and sisters well know, I would watch X-Files or CSI over Grey's Anatomy Gossip Girl anyday. Unlike most my age, I refrain from the fun dramas or comedies that have everyone hooked. Instead, I opt for the thrills, mystery, and gore of all crime shows and science-fiction dramas. Some exceptions include The Hills (which I haven't been keeping up with) and America's Next Top Model - I know. Neither is very good - okay, they suck. Another one - Ugly Betty - is a real winner and always a breath of fresh TV air.

This season is particularly exciting, especially since I can now schedule DVR dates all week. We didn't have DVR at home and Zee TV and CNN were far more traumatizing than anyone can every imagine. For months I missed out on some of my favorite shows, all of which make you think the world and everything in it sucks and make you fear for your life everyday. Splendid unhealthy fun, if you ask me.

In addition to CSI (the original, Miami, & NY), Law & Order: SVU (okay, all the others, too), The Closer, Medium (which hasn't started yet), Without a Trace, and Numbers, I'm also now hooked to Fringe and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, both on FOX. They are fabulous, particularly Fringe - it's kind of The X-Files for this generation - not nearly as intricate or engaging (yet), but a fair enough replacement after all this time.

If you at all care, Fringe stars Joshua Jackson of Dawson's Creek fame (I never liked you, Pacey), while The Sarah Connor Chronicles has Brian Austin Green of the original 90210 series. These aren't lame comebacks - both are actually quite good in their roles, and the shows are straightforward and fast-paced.

I know I should get into Lost and 24 given this track record, but I've missed too much already. Heroes, too, but in case you didn't now, it has almost exactly the same premise as USA's summer series, The 4400, which I was addicted to a while ago. Not pleased with Heroes' take on it. I kind of view it as the sci-fi show for the common man. Not enough mythology there for me.

I have a hard time focusing on comedies. They make you feel so much better, but I develop ADD when I watch them - I end up multi-tasking and get distracted. Recently, I forced myself to record The Office so that I don't completely depress myself watching the fictional (and not so) woes of the world unfold before me every night. Plus, I love Mindy Kaling.

I miss the weird days of Buffy and Angel (Charmed, too, except that it was honestly horrible). Here's to figuring out how many different ways the world will/can come to an end.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008