Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Next Sanjay Gupta?

Sure hope not.

After moving into Manhattan a few weeks ago, I actually have time to catch the Today show bright and early. This morning, one particular segment featured Dr. Roshini Raj (apparently a frequest guest) of the NYU Medical Center speaking on using the internet to research health issues. The next Dr. Sanjay Gupta, perhaps?

I nearly cringed. Lately, I feel as if South Asians have become the new "it" minority. I know this explosion of accomplished individuals (particularly in media) speaks to broader changes in mainstream culture, but oh, how it irritates me when a new example of how fantastic we all are strides onto the scene. This is what I thought when I saw Dr. Raj - here we go. Another cool, young, South Asian on television with many insightful things to say and contributions to make. Applause, applause. Blah, blah.

Is Sanjay Gupta married? Maybe the two can have their own television show. Gupta 'n' Raj. Like Regis and Kathy Lee. If Atul Gawande joined, it would really kick things up a notch. We've come a long way from the Indian doctor on Seinfeld. His character was so problematic, but come on - you had to love him.

For a while, I worked at a community-based health initiative at NYU which addressed the issues faced by South Asian immigrants in NYC. How I wish that more professional members of the community with the influence of Gupta, Raj, and the like could make some sort of contribution to such initiatives.

Not that they are obligated to simply because they are South Asian. But it could do wonders if they were a little bit more engaged and if someone tapped their potential.

This, of course, is a much more nuanced dicussion which I can't do justice to here. It's possible I'm just bitter because I flunked Organic Chemistry and love the camera. Tomorrow morning, maybe I'll skip the Today show and watch a Charmed rerun on TNT instead.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008