Friday, September 26, 2008

Characters I

I have a running list of characters in my head and need to flesh them out here so I don't forget and of course, so you are somewhat amused (I hope). Maybe they will inspire some of you to write your own stories, or at the very least, ponder what exactly it is that Shrooms does with her days.

1) Sanjay the Security Guard - Watch this guy turn out to be a doctor. I've named him Sanjay here because he reminds me of the Indian actor Sanjay Dutt. No joke. There is something about his big, sad, droopy eyes that screams Sanjay Dutt. He also has this stocky - dare I say Punjabi? - build which makes me think he works in security at the hospital/medical school I work at. I see him on the subway and train every morning and something about him intrigues me. He is almost always wearing a suit, the slightly floppy kind that makes you think it's not really an expensive one, but can't say because hey, it's hard to tell and I don't know that much about men's suits anyway. Also always a tie and sunglasses. He's got this close-cropped, rather spikey, gelled hair which doesn't quite scream "uncle" either. Then again, he could be Modern Uncle. Young Modern Uncle. You know the type. In his 40s, so too young to be much like our own parents, and yet you can't help but give them Aunty/Uncle status. He looks like he enjoys edgy, Bollywood music and doesn't want to age himself by referring to the 70s' and 80s' classics, although that's probably more his thing. Oh, and he wears dark olive suits. Very Indian. I haven't seen him in a light gray one yet though. If I do, I might have to go up to him, kindly tap his shoulder and say "Sir, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you remind me of Sanjay Dutt." Given his sense of coolness, he might actually be flattered. He always gives me a Look. It's not sleazy or skeevy or even inquisitive actually. It's just kind of an acknowledgment. Like, oh hello short little Indian girl - aren't you too young to be working here? Go home. He might do something kinda funky but odd on the side, like have an entertainment company or make pirated Bollywood DVDs. Who knows. I can't imagine what he does here though. I know its awful to assume he's in Security when he could be doing any number of things. I just can't shake the feeling that he could've been one of those hi-fi security top dogs like Samuel L. Jackson in "21." Kinda scary, kinda cool. He rarely has a bag with him and sometimes I spot a beeper. Maybe IT? Who knows. He continues to capture my imagination and I want him to be at the center of some Shantaram/Maximum City-like plot.

2) Zohan the Israeli Real Estate Agent - Zohan clearly isn't his real name - I just did that because it makes me giggle. I won't use his real name because that would be too much identifying information and I kinda like the guy. What is with me and slightly awkward, stocky buffoons? This guy is definitely a bit of one, at least looks wise. Maybe I'm wrong. He also has some sharp business sense and street smarts. He could alternately be that annoying stocky man at a bar or the head honcho of the entourage of some top official or superstar. I could totally see him in a movie. He's pretty tall and built and fashionable in a way Sanjay is not. Dark-haired and fair with this awesome Israeli accent that goes unmatched (and I've heard a lot of them). He always looks kinda bored out of his mind, and you just want to offer him a drink or an ice-cream or something. Yesterday, I finally put my finger on it - he's like John Travolta's character in "Pulp Fiction." Almost exactly. Minus the long hair. And smarter (at least in certain ways). And not nearly so rough around the edges. Also some elements of Gaston from "Beauty and the Beast" here - with the build, longish face, big eyes, and I-can-take-on-the-world attitude. Rather flippant and light-hearted too - it's always kind of surprising when he genuinely laughs because half the time you feel like he's indulging you by smiling. When him and the Moroccan broker are walking together ahead of me, I feel like I'm in character fantasy-land.

3) Little Boy on the Train - I can't get this kid out of my head. He could not have been more than 4 or 5 years old and was surrounded by like 5 other sisters/cousins. His mother, in full burkha, looked East African, so I'm just going to assume that's what they are. Well this mother was completely silent the entire ride and barely had to say a word to her children, who were the most well-behaved I've ever seen on the subway. And this little boy, well, he kind of took my breath away. He had the finest little features ever, caramel-colored skin, and about the most upset, angry face I've ever seen on someone so young. But it wasn't a bratty-can't-help-myself-because-I'm-just-a-Toys-r-us-kid-afterall anger - it was the discontent of someone much older, much more wise and experienced. He was just taking in everything around him and looked so utterly and completely - burdened. His arms were crossed tight against his chest and every 45 seconds he would glance up and stare at the man standing next to him. Specifically his fanny-pack and phone. He was just fascinated, it seemed, but he also kept scowling at it. I just didn't understand. You'd think he was in awe and wanted to reach out to take a look at it, all wide-eyed and desperate to tinker with something new. But no. He was scowling, kind of suspicious and worrisome. Poor kid. I wanted to take him for a walk in the park, buy him an ice-cream and soda, and tell him to take it easy, the world isn't so bad.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008