Monday, November 24, 2008

Gummy Bears & Growing Up

Time and distance are funny things. Last week I visied a good friend of mine in Texas, one I haven't seen since we graduated college a few years ago.

Shivers. Chills. A few years ago.

Ah, you say, that's the story of life. I say this, too. But then I sort of have to blink and shake myself and remember that for almost a few years, I used to see this person virtually every other hour. Weird.

Last Sunday, another friend of mine got engaged.

Shivers. Chills. Congrats! Engaged. I still can't shake the image of him eating coca-cola gummy bears (also a fond childhood favorite of mine) and pouring green apple vodka in just about everything he could find.

One of my chickies just bought a $28.00 mascara. Chills, but mostly congrats! This is the same girl who once "borrowed" my eyeliner and used it for three years straight because she didn't want to buy another one.

And another chickie actually, finally, gratefully, started drinking.

I don't know if I'm starting to feel old too early or what, but these odd waves of nostalgia have begun to hit me in a rather uncharacteristically emotional manner. Not fun.

In a way, it's a riot. Some things from the past really make me giggle and shake my head. But most of all, I'm actually quite thrilled that none of us are exactly the same anymore, although once in a while, I still enjoy my gummy bears.

2 comments:

Neema said...

remember when dadi used to buy us little gummy bear packages??

Truckspotter said...

Yes! I loved those gummy bears :) I think she stopped buying them because she could no longer chew them herself.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008