Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Grandmothers & Election Day

I know it's lame that the national obsession with Obama's upbringing and his grandmother made me write this. Well, it's not really the sole reason. I love my paternal granny very much and think about her often, although she refuses to acknowledge it. Unless you're with her 24/7, take her shopping, and get her a cell phone, she's not happy with you.

But Election Day made me realize something that I often forget about her - she's a U.S. citizen. And adamantly so. She keeps track of her social security money to the cent and can describe her citizenship interview in vivid detail. She even gets offended when people think she doesn't know English. There is little she can do, however, to actually exercise her rights as a citizen. She is 86 years old and splits her time between NY and India.

This morning, my coworker described taking her own grandmother at 6 am to vote. Her grandmother said only Obama could've gotten her do it, and that his grandmother left just 1 day before the election to be his angel today. I wanted to bawl.

I know it would mean a lot to my own grandmother if she could wobble her way to a poll site and cast a ballot. Hopefully, Zee TV won't trump civic duty. She's a steely lady who has come a long way from Arrah, India. Every vote does count, and she shouldn't let this opportunity go. Plus, it would give her something to talk about other than cell phones and fictional television characters.

So this is my Plan For the Day. Make sure Dadi votes. Make sure your grandparent(s) does too, if she/he can. It is clearly past the voter registration deadline, but apparently, she may be able to complete a paper ballot as long as she has proof of residence. Knowing her, she'll bring a suitcase of official documentation just in case and argue with the volunteers in perfect English.

Gotta love grandmothers. And the right to vote. And Obama. And his grandmother. And this country if it gets its act together.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008