Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For Kutner

They did what? They killed off Kutner? Or more precisely, they made Kutner kill himself off of House? Wait, what's this I hear - Kal Penn made the show make Kutner commit suicide so that he can go work for Obama? What is going on, and why did I encounter this strange tragedy at 7:45 am while enthusiastically working out on my spanking new elliptical? My love-hate relationship with Kal just reached new anxiety levels.

So yes, you heard right. Kutner may have committed suicide on "House" - or he may have been murdered, or something else truly mysterious happened to him and House won't rest until he figures it out, not because he cares about people, but because he loves puzzles. In any case, no more Kumar/Kutner/Penn to charm me. I'm convinced this is a big fat conspiracy to deprive me of my favorite TV characters - let's not forget what happened to Gary Dourdan of CSI last season. I'm still sour about that one.

But clearly, Gary was having some issues. Kal, on the other hand, has decided to help Obama save the world, and I'm both irritated and jealous. I mean, seriously, who doesn't want to work for Obama? Wouldn't you quit your job and go work in his administration? Kal appears to be a smart guy from what I've read, and so in many ways, I applaud him for leaving a rather successful actor career (thus far) to become an associate director in the White House office of public liaison (read about it here), where he will be working with the Asian-American and arts communities.

While I'm not 100% sure what that means, I do know that I can name at least 10 fine Indian-Americans who could have filled that spot. It's not that I think Kal isn't qualified - in many ways, he is actually an ideal candidate for such a position, particularly since he is one of the few, if only, mainstream Indian-American actors. But it did make me wonder what sort of process led to the decision that he fill it. Also, I feel kind of bad for all of those artsy Asian-Americans out there for whom this would have been a plum position and opportunity.

Missing Kuttner won't be fun, but stalking Kal in the new administration like will be - intern, anyone?

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

sumania - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008